Nutrition guidelines are set forth by the USDA through the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010. For more information on these guidelines please CLICK HERE.

What if my child has a food allergy or intolerance?
We do our best to accommodate our students with a variety of health concerns. As set forth by the USDA, we are required to have specific forms on file for facilitating these needs. These are available in the school office or may be printed by clicking on the appropriate form below. Please return all completed forms to the school office.

For students needing special meal accommodations please complete the following form: Medical Statement for Special Accommodation

For students needing a fluid milk substitution, please complete and return the following form: Request for Fluid Milk Substitution

How do I apply for free or reduced meals?
You can apply online by CLICKING HERE, or filling out a paper application. Paper applications are available in the school office or may be picked up at the District Office located at 205 N. Ventura Road in Port Hueneme.

*Please note that applications submitted online have a faster turn-around time when it comes to processing.

What are the criteria for qualifying for free or reduced meals?
Qualifying for free or reduced meals is based on the household size and income criteria set by the USDA. To review the criteria, please CLICK HERE.

How will I know if our family has qualified for free or reduced meals?
If you apply using a paper application, you will be notified by mail to the address submitted on the application. If applying online, you will receive an e-mail notification from vcoesis@vcoe.org. (this email address does not accept incoming email.) Please be sure to unblock vcoesis@vcoe.org from your spam filter.

If I do not qualify for free or reduced lunch, what payment methods are available for me to pay for my child's meals?
Student meals may be paid by cash or check made out to Hueneme Elementary School District. Please be sure to include your child’s name in the memo section. If you have more than one student at a school, please specify how much you want applied toward each student. If not specified, the payment will be split and applied equally to each student.

Payments may be dropped off in the school office or with the Food Service Cashier.

Cash payments are not accepted during meal service. This is done to protect the student’s privacy. Students may drop envelopes off during meal service, but they will not be immediately processed.

Envelopes are available in the school office for your convenience. Please feel free to ask the office staff for one.

How do I find out how much I owe for my child's meals?
Letters will be sent home each week for students who owe more than $5.00. You may also e-mail Vanessa Ortiz-Martinez and ask to look it up for you. If e-mailing in your request, please be sure to include the student’s full name, school that they are attending, grade level and birth date. If you have more than one child, please make sure you provide the information requested for each child.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact  Joanna Carino, Director of Food Service